Museum of Fine arts
Error: No articles to display
The Museum of Fine Arts contains major works from the Romanesque to Rococo periods in the form of paintings, sculptures, textiles and many other objects from the collection of liturgical items and treasures held at Admont Abbey.
In the entrance area, visitors are ‘welcomed’ by a recently acquired masterpiece: a Gothic Madonna with child dating to the 15th century and carved by Jakob Kaschauer. There is an annually changing selection of liturgical objects on view in the large display cases. Among the clerical vestments from various epochs are the so-called ‘Gebhards mitre’ (dating to the late 14th century) and a chasuble for a funeral Mass (16th century). The highlight of the textile collection is the remarkable work of the Admont Benedictine Benno Haan (1631 – 1720). He created a wealth of liturgical vestments and paraments for Admont Abbey that are of extremely high quality and are now priceless in terms of value. Further information to Benno Haan.
In addition to this embroidery work, also to be seen in the Museum of Fine Arts are stained glass items and painted panels of the 15th century, a portable altar (1375), the Gebhards crozier with its ivory crook (12th/13th century), an abbot’s staff made of a narwhal tusk (c. 1680), the magnificent Baroque feast day monstrance, chalices, pectoral crosses worn by abbots and paintings produced by major Austrian artists of the Baroque, such as Martin Johann Schmidt (‘Kremser Schmidt’), Martino and Bartolomeo Altomonte, Johann Lederwasch and many others. An individual room is dedicated to the work of the Abbey’s own sculptor, Josef Stammel (1695 – 1765).
Click here for a 3-D-view into the museum of fine arts ...